Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Patience and Fortitude

I love libraries. I am sure that this is related to my love of books and reading. But even beyond that, I feel calm and happy when I am in a library, whether I am reading or not. When we moved Kate to BYU, it was the first time that I had spent any time in the newly renovated/expanded Harold B Lee Library. I was in heaven. I told Kate, "Don't be alarmed if you walk into the library one morning and see your mother "hanging out." She just shook her head.

So I enjoyed the fact that our hotel in NYC was only a couple of blocks away from the library. I walked past it several times each day as I set out on new explorations.



The first time I walked by, I stopped abruptly. Right in front of the library are the lions "Patience" and "Fortitude!" Their cousins, also named "Patience" and "Fortitude," along with "Honor" and "Integrity," guard the Utah State Capitol.




I have a great deal of fondness for these guardians of virtue.

No comments: