Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Last Dance

As the youngest of 3 girls, Kate has had the wonderful luxury of having her sisters' formal dresses available for school dances. So for prom this year,since we had so rarely done it, I told Kate we could buy her a new dress. On one of her rare free evenings, Kate and I went to SouthTown dress shopping. We found a candidate at Macy's. Kate asked me, "Do I look "Wow" in it?" She looked beautiful, but I wasn't sure about "Wow." We found another at Dillards that might work. She chose another very pretty dress at another small shop. Finally, we were tired of looking. She decided to go with the Macy's dress. As we walked back towards Macy's, we went upstairs and passed a small formal dress shop I didn't even remember. We decided to have one more look. She immediately found a pretty dress in a size 2--the only one like it. She tried it on and opened the curtain for me to have a look. All I could say was "Wow!" We had found her dress--or as Kate says, the dress chose her. Now I am shamelessly begging for praise. Altering Kate's prom dress turned out to be a bit more than I anticipated. I pinned, measured, cut and hemmed all five layers of the dress. I added fabric to the bodice and added straps. I ironed it many times, and finally finished about 10 minutes before her date arrived. But the finished product was definitely "Wow!"

4 comments:

christy said...

Looks great! Kate the dress and the alterations are all wonderful. Love the color and pleat details. Looks young but not too young and not trendy. Good job. It can be a tough job dress shopping in Utah if you don't want to look just like everyone else.

Fran said...

What a beauty Kate is! Kind of looks like Emma Watson on the red carpet.

Mrs. Mike said...

Wow! She looks beautiful! Good job.

kc and k said...

So beautiful! I hope she had a great time.