Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Family Bonding

Many months ago, Caroline suggested that we form a family Ragnar team to participate in the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay on June17 - 18. This race consists of 12 team members who run in shifts from Logan to Park City. Caroline, who has run it before, told us it would be "bonding." She was right.

However, as the time came closer, I was not sure whether it was such a good idea. Caroline was swamped with school and work. Bryce and I were immersed in work and Kate's graduation. We were sure that our family had plenty of runners to fill the 12-man team--but it was harder than we thought. Caroline had recruited at the cousin party in December. From the Newman side of the family, Ryan and Anna had signed on at that time. Lanis & Lance and Leslie & Jon agreed to represent the Berry side of the family. Everyone in our immediate family planned to run it except Kate, who had Youth Conference. Then Jacque got pneumonia. So we lost her as well as Dallin as a driver. We always were a bit nervous about Clint with a new baby. And as it got closer, he and we realized that he needed to be home with Melissa and Hazel. So my nephew Cory agreed to run, even though he would be barely home from Hong Kong. And our friend, David Dickson--who is like family, agreed to take Clint's spot. That left one spot still open, and Caroline called on her Skyline/Utah State running contacts and her friend Becca agreed to come run with us.

Then the unthinkable happened. David had a terrible fall while hiking. The story of his rescue and recovery is a miracle. He continues to recuperate, and he is making great progress. One of the things he said to Clair as they were going through their ordeal was, "I guess I won't be running Ragnar!"

Again, Caroline went to her running friends. When we picked up Lexi on the way to Logan, she started asking questions that made it clear she didn't really know what this race involved. I said, "Lexi, did Caroline explain this race to you?" Lexi replied, "She just told me that she needed me to come run on her Ragnar team, and even though I didn't really know what that meant, I came." What a good friend!

What it meant was--riding in a suburban or running night and day. Everyone ran 3 legs. Mine were the easiest--4 miles each. Still kind of a stretch for me. Running in the mountains in the middle of the night was a unique experience. I didn't feel anxious, like I thought I might. More peaceful. Ryan, Caroline, Lexi and Becca were with Bryce and me. (Ryan was a real sport, listening to those 3 girls for 30 hours!) Lanis, Lance, Leslie, Jon, Anna and Cory were in the other vehicle. The experience really was bonding.


The Wild Berry Bunch. Kate designed the shirts.
Our Van

No comments: